Motivational Interviewing for Home Visitors (MOD034)
Length: 4.0-4.5 hours
Motivational Interviewing for Home Visitors is an interactive training that presents the basic spirit, process, and principles of Motivational Interviewing. Motivational interviewing can help your clients sort through thoughts, ideas, and uncertainties, they may have about making a change. It’s an effective way of talking with families about changing their behavior and empowering them to commit to positive change. Participants will have an opportunity to experience and practice basic motivational interviewing skills.
Caution: This is an introduction. Additional training/supervision would be needed to become skilled in the use of motivational interviewing MOD034
- Recognize the 6 Stages of Change
- Discuss and apply the basic spirit, process, and techniques of basic Motivational Interviewing
- Identify opportunities for the use of Motivational Interviewing in home visitation
- Discuss the meaning of OARS and demonstrate skill in each component.
- Recognize, elicit, and reinforce “change talk”
- Identify and avoid “traps” that interfere with client motivation